<body>
LIVING in LIVINGston and surrounding towns of New Jersey

Life in Livingston, Short Hills, Millburn, Summit, Madison, Chatham, East Hanover, West Orange and the surroundings of NJ/NY

 

How To Get Into New York City for a Buck (Actually Two)

If you drive into NYC regularly, you probably use E-Z Pass.

And even if you're paying cash every time, you're hit with a sky-high bill just to drive into the city over the GW Bridge, Lincoln Tunnel, Holland Tunnel, etc. It's almost as high as a movie ticket!

Right now, the Lincoln Tunnel will set you back $8 EACH TIME you go into the Big Apple!

But there's a way to go through the same toll booths and get through for only $2.00!

The Port Authority Carpool Plan provides the largest toll discount at the Port Authority bridges and tunnels.

  • The toll for Port Authority Carpool customers is $2 at all hours - 24/7.
  • You must have an E-ZPass account and you must register for the Port Authority Carpool Discount Plan.
  • To register for the Carpool Plan, call 1-800-333-8655 (New York Service Center) or 1-888-288-6865 (New Jersey Service Center). Be sure to have your account number or tag number and PIN for account access.
  • Three or more people must be in a vehicle to be eligible for the Carpool toll rate (no commercial vehicles qualify).
  • Customers must use a staffed "Cash-E-ZPass" toll lane and come to a complete stop so the toll collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle.


There's no cost to sign-up, so you should do it regardless! And the next time you go through with 3 people in your car, you'll save at least $6 each time.

Labels: , , , , ,

There

  1. Anonymous Anonymous | 4:57 AM |  

    I love how a site about "life" in northern New Jersey's most notoriously vapid and affluent communities is completely devoted to petty penny-pinching and fancy coffee. This newsletter for nasty little soccer moms is disgusting and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

    I implore you to ponder the things that truly matter in life if you are at all capable of doing so any more.

    Also, get off the cell-phone while you're driving your big ugly tanks and stop running red lights.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous | 5:23 PM |  

    @anonymous:

    Wow, sounds like you feel angry becuase you do not live in Essex County?

    Why are hiding behind an unsigned anonymous comment?

    I agree that talking on cell phones while driving and running red lights is not only rude, but also illegal.

    What is interesting is that you assume a lot. I am not male, not a "soccer mom", I don't drive a "big tank", I don't like fancy coffee (I drank some Folgers today!) and I don't run red lights.

    What would you like to see discussed on this blog? We invite you to share constructive suggestions.

    May I suggest that you try to build some peaceful habits to help manage the anger in your life?

  3. Anonymous Anonymous | 5:15 AM |  

    Oh, shut your mouth. Sorry I'm late by the way. I gave up looking for a witty retort such as this one months ago. Being the "angry" person I am, I'm glad at least someone is willing to interact with me.

    First off, smart-guy, you mention the notion of me not living in Essex County as if it doesn't house some of the worst crime rates and living conditions this side of the country has to offer. If, in some hilariously ethno-centric manner, you stumbled in trying to suggest that I was upset because I don't live in WEST Essex (Livingston, Millburn, Short Hills, etc.,), you would be also be incorrect. However, how typical of a fellow hill-dweller like you, "kenny," to take it upon yourself to smite any potential non-Short Hills residents who may feel a little uneasy about your endless quest to attend only free basketball games. I suppose you've also concocted a way to scam the minimum wage workers at the arena out of charging you for a box of Cracker Jacks and a pint of Heineken Light (blech!)? At the wave of the correct bar code from the crowd, Magic Johnson will scale the bleachers to personally sign your Spalding basketball in the middle of a game for FREE when he usually charges 17,000 dollars. Ridiculous.

    As for why I'm "hiding" behind an anonymous tag...I'm simply too lazy to make an account to interact with you under a handle that would be unlikely to bring you any closer to finding out who I am anyway. And even then, what would you do? Make a "Life Around Livingston" wall of shame with my picture on it? That would make this blog a bit more interesting...Which brings me to my next point. THIS BLOG IS BORING. Sure, I don't have to read it, but the internet is full of all sorts of bored-to-tears pits like this. I don't have to step in a bear trap either, but if I'm wandering through the woods drunk in the dark, I don't see how that's really my fault. So spice it up already! How about some flash games or something? The ability to play Javanoid or Super Mario Bros. while reading incessant blabbering about the environment (which face it, you don't actually care about, especially if you're putting Folgers coffee into the air) would greatly lessen the physical and emotional pain that must be endured to do so. I mean, come on. One of your topics is completely devoted to how cold you noticed it was one day in the middle of January. What are you, a thermometer? However, weather reports are welcome. You should really mix it up and predict precipitation of really unusual things like cheeseburgers or possibly koosh balls (remember those?!). I have some free time after work if you ever need a hand in coming up with good ideas for the site.


    As for your offer to take yoga class with you, I must decline. I already have a WiiFit.

    All that said, it's nothing personal, Ken. At the end of the day, it's not that I'm angry, or that I need to find peace...It's that I'm an asshole. I'm a jerk. I got drunk one night months ago and stumbled upon your little web page and decided to see how a pleasant, colorful blog like this one would react to an old-fashioned ass-kicking. I hope you have learned your lesson about running boring and annoying websites on the internet. It's not fair to you, it's not fair to the people of this country, and most importantly, it's not fair to me.

Submit Comment: Click Here

3 Comments